Monday, April 2, 2012

Updates

Hmmm, so it's been awhile, again.  Let's see. Hubbby cut the top half of his thumb off at work last month. It was on parent teachers day so I made Mom go with me. He was really lucky and missed the nerves on the sides of his thumb and they think at least part of the nail will grow back.  He was using a sawsall and it bounced landing right on his thumb. He took his finger off the power but momentum kept it going to the bone. He chipped the tip of the bone stopping the saw.  It's really disgusting right now becuase his thumbnail isn't attached but he's keeping it in place with a bandage to help protect the sensitive skin.  He takes it off in the evenings to let it get some air. I'm glad he's good with that sort of stuff. I see blood and instantly panic.

Little man got some yellow notes sent home in Feb. He'd been really good after he got in so much trouble for those. Then just last week he got another yellow note. He has two teachers, an afternoon and morning teacher. They share the class and have a pre-printed form they fill out and send home. I have no idea which teacher this is coming from and the note is so vague I really have no idea what he did.  I e-mailed his teachers asking for more information and based on their replies I'm a little annoyed with them.  He's been a little rambuctious the past few days (umm, it's the week before spring break and he's six) he kicked a kid at receess (her follow up e-mail says the kids were all pushing and shoving so he kicked a girl) OK not good but a yellow note, really? Then her main complaint. He gets done with his work much quicker than the other kids so we ask him to turn his paper over and draw on the back while they finish. When the rest of the kids are done. He makes us wait for him to finish his drawing. - I've talked to little man, although honestly I know exactly how he feels. I read a book during lunch and I'll take a few extra minutes now and then so I can get to the end of my chapter or stay up a little later than I should so I can finish this project etc. He wants to finish what he's started. That is a good attribute he just has to put it away temporarily and finish it when his homework gets handed back. Did these things really need a yellow note sent home? (yellow is a serious note from his teachers, the next step is a parent/teacher meeting.)  Am I being a little over-protective and biased on his side? I had originally grounded him for a week but after getting the replies from his teachers decided all he needed was a stern sit down. I told him he wasn't grounded because I didn't think the things my six year old had done were really that out of line for a six year old.  No, you shouldn't hit or kick but did the other students pushing/ hitting in line get notes? I feel like once the teachers realized he gets severely reprimanded if he gets a yellow note sent home it was like it became okay to do a yellow note for every little thing so I would keep him in line.  I've asked them to please e-mail me updates if he's acting up so we can deal with the issues one on one instead of grounding or lose of a special treat, event etc. when I feel what he did wasn't equal to that harsh of a punishment.  It's frustrating how in-accesible I feel his teachers are.  I know he really dislikes his afternoon teacher he refers to her as the mean teacher. I was talking with my very good friend who is trying to get her kids into a charter school about how much I dislike his teachers this year and in my discussion with her I realized how stupid their disciplinary tactics are in his class. He has a girl who since last year has been leading in the race for school bully (yes this preschooler was in the top contenders of school bullies)  His teacher last year was trying to get the other students to understand the difficulties she has with her life at home and she has anger problems and the parents were assured that she was in counseling to help with the anger issues etc.  This year the same girl is in his class again. Her desk is up against the wall facing the chalkboard. The teachers can't handle her in groups with the other students so this is their solution. Completly isolate the poor girl. There is a boy in his class who sits behind an easel facing the windows.  I'm upset and these aren't my kids.  I wish I could afford private school.  It sounds like a much better alternative to public school.

My little Princess is sweet and funny. She's started telling everyone they are being a bossy boss.  She wants to do her reading lessons at night and after sounding out C-A-T figured out on her own that is was cat.  That is the first one she's figured out on her own what the word was instead of the sounds and me telling her what the actual word is.  She spaces the sounds a little too much and doesn't let them flow together so it's difficult for her to figure out the actual word.  She loves books so much and has several of the simpler ones memorized.  I'm hoping to have her reading before pre-school but maybe we won't do so much with math as we did with Conner. I don't want her bored and acting up in school as well.

The kitchen light stopped working the other day. I can't tell you how excited I am. Hubby wouldn't let me paint until he'd put can lights in the kitchen. He had no incentive to put can lights in the kitchen so I figured I'd never get to paint. Woohoo it's pointless to replace the light that stopped working so he's getting the can lights and then I can paint. My kitchen was painted when we first moved in and hasn't been painted since. I've lived there for going on 11 years. Speaking of Dave and I started dating 17 years ago yesterday (yes, every year he tells me it was a great April Fools Joke).  It's crazy it's been that long. Luckily I love him as much or more than I did.

1 comment:

  1. oh man I am not looking forward to dealing with teachers and all that jazz when it comes time. Some teachers are so much better at handling classrooms and helping kids than others. Sorry about that! Not fun and stressful. We are adopting through the Foster Care system and I can imagine all the different hullabaloo we might encounter once our kids are in public school. I'll toast you my chip for good luck and eat another one for you

    ReplyDelete